Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The first bump on the road

Day 2 in Beijing: HR and relocation people had sent me several documents about getting work visa. Unfortunately one of the documents was not correct and it said that I need an L type visa. But another doc said that I needed Z type visa. I did not notice this incontinency and since I had a multiple entry L visa to enter China I just used that to get in. When I gave all my documents to HR to process my on boarding they noticed the visa and said that I need to go back out and apply for Z visa and come back in again. Crap!

The closest place that has a Chinese consulate is Hong Kong. So I will have to go there over the weekend and be at the consulate at 9:00 AM on Monday and apply for Z type visa.

Interesting things about Honk Kong and Taiwan: Even though Hong Kong has rejoined China since 1997 it still has its own currency and passport and visa etc. Taiwan’s status is at dispute and it also has its own currency and passport. Canadians don’t need visa to get into Honk Kong or Taiwan. There is no restriction for main land Chinese people to travel to Hong Kong but Taiwan allows only 200 Chinese people from mainland to enter per day since they are fearful of Chinese army infiltrating the island. There no direct flights between Taiwan and mainland China.

No comments: